Panera Bread Creamy Tomato Soup Copycat
Panera Bread Creamy Tomato Soup CopycatCourse: SoupsCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 garlic cloves minced
1 large yellow onion diced
2 cans San Marzano peeled tomatoes (28 oz can sizes) crushed or blended
1 cup vegetable stock
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 cup half and half or heavy cream
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add diced onion and garlic. Cook, stirring as needed, until onion is translucent – about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the San Marzano peeled tomatoes, including the juice, vegetable stock, dried oregano, dried basil and sugar. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine. Bring to a low simmer. Cook uncovered, for 12 minutes or until it has thickened. Stir occasionally.
- Add the half and half or heavy cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Using an immersion blender (or carefully transfer soup to a blender), puree soup until there are no large chunks left.
- Serve immediately garnished with croutons and french bread on the side.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or you can freeze the soup for up to 3 months.