Italian Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
Italian Sausage Stuffed MushroomsCuisine: Italian
24 oz white button mushrooms
1/3 lb hot Italian sausage ground
1/2 yellow onion finely diced
6 cloves garlic finely minced
1/3 cup dry white wine I used pinot grigio
2-3 tsp sprigs of fresh thyme chopped (or 1/4 dried thyme leaves)
8 oz cream cheese
1 egg yolk
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
salt and pepper to taste
- Wipe off mushrooms with a damp paper towel. Twist stems of mushrooms to remove (or use a paring knife).
- Chop mushroom stems finely and set aside.
- Cook and crumble sausage finely. Remove to a plate to cool.
- Reduce heat to MED-LOW and add onions and garlic to the same skillet with sausage grease. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Pour in wine to deglaze pan, using a wooden spoon to scrape the pan to release the brown sausage bits, and allow most of the liquid to cook off.
- Stir in chopped mushroom stems and thyme and saute for 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set mixture aside on a plate to cool.
- In a bowl, combine softened cream cheese, egg yolk, and Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine well.
- Add cooled, cooked sausage and cooled onion mixture. Stir well, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or so to firm up.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a spoon or teaspoon measuring spoon, add mixture to the top of the mushrooms, pressing slightly to fill the cavity. Add a little extra to create a mound on top of the mushroom.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Broil the last minute if you want a more golden brown topping.
- Let cool a few minutes, sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley, and serve.