Cheesy Cowboy Soup
Cheesy Cowboy SoupCourse: SoupsCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
1 pound lean ground beef
1 (16 oz.) package velveeta, cubed
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
4 small potatoes, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeds removed, diced
1 (13.25 oz.) can whole corn kernels, rinsed and drained
1 (13.25 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (4 oz.) can green chiles
3 cups low-sodium chicken or beef broth
2 1/2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne, optional
Bacon bits, optional
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter in skillet, then whisk in flour. Cook roux for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown, then whisk in whole milk.
- Season with salt and pepper, then remove from heat and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and cook ground beef, breaking it up as it cooks, until browned. Season generously with salt and pepper and garlic powder, then transfer beef to a separate plate and drain all but 2 tablespoons fat.
- Add onion, potatoes and bell pepper to Dutch oven and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until veggies are softened and fork tender.
- Season with salt and pepper, cumin and cayenne, then add corn, black beans and green chiles.
- Return beef to pot and stir in chicken or beef broth. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in refrigerated roux mixture, then add in cubed velveeta. Cover again and cook for another 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and soup is thick and smooth.
- Serve hot, topped with cheese and bacon bits. Enjoy!